Anime is all the rage right now and Netflix is cashing in on the craze by expanding its anime slate with 5 new titles. Two of which you might have already heard of!
- Pacific Rim which expands the world of the two live-action movies of the same name, returns to the epic battle of Kaiju and Jaegers. The original anime series follows two siblings — an idealistic teenage boy and his naïve younger sister — who are forced to pilot an abandoned Jaeger across a hostile landscape in a desperate attempt to find their missing parents. Co-showrunners are Craig Kyle (Thor: Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution). The series comes from Legendary Entertainment (Kong: Skull Island; Pokemon: Detective Pikachu)
- Set in the same universe as the Netflix-live-action sci-fi series — which is currently in production — Altered Carbon
will explore new elements of the story mythology. The series comes from the animation studio, Anima and will be written by Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) and Tsukasa Kondo.
- From the animation studio Gonzo (Hellsing, Afro Samurai), Cagaster of an Insect Cage is set in a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious disease “Cagaster” turns people into giant murderous insects, this manga-based series follows the struggle of a young couple to stay alive. Koichi Chigira (Last Exile, Full Metal Panic!) directs.
- Set in a war-torn Japan of mechs and magic, Yasuke follows a retired ronin who must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate. The series from the animation studio MAPPA will feature the voice of Sorry to Bother You star Lakeith Stanfield as the titular protagonist, which is based on the historical samurai of African origin who fought with Oda Nobunaga. Creator/Director/Executive Producer is LeSean Thomas(The Boondocks, Cannon Busters) while the Grammy-nominated Flying Lotus will compose the music and serve as an Executive Producer.
- Trese is set in a Manila where the mythical creatures of Philippine folklore live in hiding amongst humans, Alexandra Trese finds herself going head to head with a criminal underworld comprised of malevolent supernatural beings. This anime series is based on the Philippine graphic novel by the same name, created by Budjette Tan and Kajo Baldissimo. Jay Oliva (Wonder Woman, The Legend of Korra) will serve as Executive Producer. Producers are Shanty Harmayn and Tanya Yuson at BASE Entertainment, a studio based in Jakarta and Singapore.
Netflix’s new slate adds to its growing library of animated content. Last year, it announced that it was spending $8 billion to bring its library up to 50 percent original content — some of which included 30 new animated shows in 2018. More animated content could help bring in younger viewers as it competes with the likes of Amazon and Crunchyroll.
Are you excited to see these titles come to the Netflix streaming service? Let us know in the comments.