Season 4, re-titled The Walking Dead: Season Four and The Walking Dead: The Final Season, is the fourth and final season of Telltale Games‘ The Walking Dead. It was confirmed at the end of “From The Gallows“. It will mark the return of playable protagonist, Clementine, and Alvin Jr. The first episode is set to be released on August 14th, 2018.
Here are some tidbits of information regarding the Final Season:
- Unlike previous seasons that consisted of five episodes each, the final season will consist of only four episodes.
- This will be the third season to feature Clementine as a playable character, and the second to have her as the protagonist.
- Job said that Season 4 will wrap up Clementine’s story but not The Walking Dead as a whole.
- Also stated that the premiere will be in Q2 although new CEO stated that it will release in summer 2018 in an article he answered.
- Finally, Job said, that there might be some returning characters from Season 1.
- It has been confirmed on the Telltale Community page, that Gary Whitta is returning to work on the final season. He also wrote “Around Every Corner” and helped write “400 Days“.
- Robert Kirkman teased in Issue 175‘s Letter Hacks that this season might feature a character with an animal companion like Ezekiel and Shiva.
- The Final Season’s creative director confirmed on an AMA, that this season will feature an LGBT character(s).
- The artwork looks similar to the one made for the Game of the Year edition of Season 1.
- The Final Season will come with some new features not found in previous games, such as a new over-the-shoulder camera, better combat, and a visual overhaul. 4K and HDR support has also been confirmed for compatible devices. It will also be possible to import save data from previous entries in the series.
- It is confirmed by a Telltale employee on their forums that the García family will not return for this season.
- This is the first season to release on a Nintendo console, namely the Nintendo Switch. It is also rumored that the first two seasons may release on the console as well, but Season 3 is still absent.
- It is estimated that Season 4 will take place 7.5-8.5 years or 2740-3102 days after the initial outbreak seen in Season 1, whereas the TV show is at 620 days and the comic books are at least at 1481 days.