Move over Guardians Of The Galaxy, the universe has new protectors!
Infinity Wars has yet to officially commence, but Marvel Comics’ next massive event already has its first spinoff: The Asgardians of the Galaxy.
Announced today by Marvel following a teaser just yesterday, the new series will debut in September from writer Cullen Bunn and artist Matteo Lolli; though not announced as a regular member of the team, Dale Known provided the image for the series’ first issue/promo art. The team’s lineup will feature a number of Marvel’s heaviest hitters… and Throg.
Joining Angela, herself a former member of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and Valkirie on the team are a newly resurrected Skurge the Executioner, the Destroyer (whoever is controlling the armor remains unrevealed), and Kevin Masterson, aka the son of the original Thunderstrike, Eric Masterson.
And, yes — the frog of thunder, Throg, is also a member of the (mostly) mythologically-based team.
According to Marvel’s announcement, and as was indicated in yesterday’s teaser image for the series, the Guardians of the Galaxy’s days are numbered. Presumably, the team will disband during or after the events of the upcoming Infinity Wars. Or worse, it’s entirely possible several or every member of the team will be killed in the cosmic event. After all, virtually all of the teasers and press for Infinity Wars has been designed to brace Marvel fans for the fact that death is coming.
Spinning out of the events of INFINITY WARS comes an epic space opera from the superstar team of Cullen Bunn and Matteo Lolli!
• ANGELA, the not-so-beloved half-sister of Thor.
• The hotheaded VALKYRIE – and the human who shares her form, Annabelle Riggs.
• SKURGE the EXECUTIONER, freshly returned from Hel.
• THROG, the mightiest frog of thunder.
• Kevin Masterson, the boy who took his father’s mace to become the hero THUNDERSTRIKE.
• And the DESTROYER, the Asgardian armor built to take down Celestials – its wielder unknown. The Galaxy has new Guardians!